On New Year’s Day in 2000, Wadsworth Mansion opened its doors to guests curious about one of Middletown’s prominent historic homes. The mansion was originally owned by Col. Clarence S. Wadsworth, who began developing the estate after his marriage to Katharine Fearing Hubbard Wadsworth in 1897. The mansion, built in the classical revival style and designed by architects Francis Hoppin and Terence Koen, is located in the Western part of Middletown known as Long Hill and was completed in 1917. In 1947, the estate was purchased for Our Lady of the Cenacle, a Roman Catholic order which provided meditation, shelter, and religious instruction to the community for almost forty years. Neglected over the years, Middletown purchased the estate in 1994 and embarked on its $5.8 million restoration.
The New Year’s Day celebration at the mansion will be held this year from 1:00 – 4:00 PM.
Story contributed by Deborah Shapiro.