On this day in 1895, Baptist Church clergy urged parishioners to support its new Industrial Wood Yard, a mission sponsored by the church to provide employment, food and lodging to men in need. Pastor P.F. Jernagan asked for funds to build an outdoor shed on church property where workers could split and saw wood that would be sold by the barrel. Launched at the start of the new year, the work project had employed 10 men at the rate of 9 cents an hour in its first four days of operation. An additional 20 job seekers were turned away. The mission’s goal was to provide work to anyone who was deserving “no matter what their color, religion or nationality.”
Story contributed by Marnie Goodman.