Middletown, Conn., May 12.–Little Minnie LaChowsky, aged seven years, sat on the steps of a district school on the outskirts of Higganum today, eating her lunch, when she suddenly choked after swallowing a big piece of mince pie. Little Minnie was pounded on the back and various other means were used to relieve her without result.
The teacher examined the child’s throat and found a piece of wire nearly an inch long lodged in the trachea. She could find nothing with which to remove it and was about to start for home with the suffering child when a big automobile came in sight.
The chauffeur formed a hook of a bit of metal and after several attempts managed to pull out the wire. The child was saved, but suffered greatly from shock. She was taken home and put to bed.