The General Assembly of the State of Connecticut adopted on this day, “Act to create a Hospital for the Insane in the State of Connecticut.” Previously in the year, a commission which had been appointed by the legislature reported that there were 706 insane persons in the state most of whom could not afford care. Thus was born the Connecticut Hospital for the Insane, now known as Connecticut Valley Hospital. Land bordering on the Connecticut River in Middletown was chosen as the site for the new hospital. It was easily accessible by water and land and included full control of Butler’s Creek, which was used as a source of water. In October, 1866 Dr. Abram Shew was appointed the first superintendent. The first patients, 12 men, were received on April 30, 1868.
Story contributed by Deborah Shapiro.