The Middlesex County Orphan’s Home officially opened on July 15, 1878. The institution was supported completely by voluntary contributions, such as personnel support and monetary donations. Under the management of Mrs. R.S. Bailey and Mrs. M.E. Rockwell, the orphan’s home flourished and they were able to secure permanent support from the state. As a result of the state support, the legislature also passed an act that provided for the establishment of homes for children over the age of two in every county in Connecticut.