Middletown, Conn., Dec. 31.–While this Connecticut town is preparing to celebrate its tercentenary in the summer of 1950, the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Holy Trinity will mark the end of its second century of continuous existence as one of the community’s foremost churches.
The parish was organized on Easter Monday, April 16, 1750, and the first church building, known as Christ Church, occupied a site on the town green. In 1834 the church was moved to a brownstone structure which is now the Russell Library, the town’s public library, and soon afterwards the name of the parish was changed to the present Holy Trinity. The present gothic building in Main St. dates from 1874.
The main event in the bicentennial celebration will be an anniversary dinner April 17, at which the principal speakers will be Secretary of State Dean G. Acheson and former Senator Raymond E. Baldwin, both former parishioners and choir boys of the church, Secretary Acheson’s father, the late T. Rev. Edward Campion Acheson, was the rector of the parish from 1892 to 1915, before his election as Bishop-Coadjutor and later Bishop of the Diocese of Connecticut. Rev. Lewis W. Pitt, rector of Grace Church in New York City and also a former member of the parish, will conduct the anniversary service in the church on April 16. Another past parishioner is the Rev. Karl Rolland, rector emeritus of New York’s St. George Church.
Other bicentennial plans call for the raising of a special anniversary fund to furnish a memorial chapel and to provide various other improvements for the church.
Rev. Dr. Clyde D. Wilson has been at the head of the parish since 1937.